Join me as I support the #DayofLight awareness campaign on February 5th.
What is #DayOfLight?
Day of Light was created to shine a light on depression, and share resources for those who are struggling with the mental illness. Bloggers from all over the country are collaborating on Wednesday, February 5th to flood social media with personal stories about living with depression, and accurate information on managing and living with the mental illness.
What is Depression?
Depression is a common but serious mental illness typically marked by sad or anxious feelings. These feelings tend to linger for periods longer than 2 weeks at a time and interfere with daily activities. Depression does not discriminate based on age, race, gender or sexuality.
You are not alone.
Depression is often an illness of isolation. People suffer in silence, and frequently feel as if they are alone. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) more than 20 million people in the United States suffer from depression. Join Pushing Lovely as we work together to bring depression out of the dark and declare February 5th, 2014 the #DayOfLight.
How Can You Participate?
- Write a blog post sharing your personal experience of depression and/or share resources to help others. Add the #DayOfLight hashtag in your post title.
- Watch the #DayOfLight Google Hangout on Wednesday, February 5th at 11 AM EST. RSVP here: http://bit.ly/1ilifbP Tweet using #DayofLight to ask questions.
- Participate in the #DayOfLight twitter chat on Wednesday, February 5th at 9 PM EST.
- Turn your social media avatars black and white on Wednesday, February 5th so we can visually represent all of those affected by depression.
- Record a 15 second video & upload to Instagram on Wednesday, February 5th. Add the hashtag #DayOfLight
- Share inspiring tweets, posts, and photos Â on social media to encourage those who are suffering with depression to let them know that they are not alone. Use the hashtag #DayOfLight.
Weâ€™ve compiled a list of resources and research about depression:Â http://bit.ly/1aUOyOZ
For questions about #DayOfLight, please contact Brandi Riley at email@example.com
Social media is a powerful tool. It serves to connect, to inspire, and can even help to build and grow! The Pushing Lovely community recognizes the reach that our collective voices have, and feel a responsibility towards using our influence for good. We are actively seeking to partner with organizations and causes that could benefit from our commitment to shining a spotlight on all that is good in this great big world.
For more information about Pushing Good, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you suffer from depression or know someone who does?Â Please join us and drop any links to your work below!